The Golf Club Designed To Make Me Crazy

Posted by Don Rabbitt | 12/05/2008 | 0 comments »

Last evening I decided to go practice with a Golf Talk club that has been in my golf cabinet in the garage for three years. It had been spanked and put in the dark for being a really naughty club - it never allowed me to hit good shot. It's a 60 degree wedge.

For some reason, I thought this was the time to make up with the 60 and learn how to hit it. So, out to the golf course we went. The first shot from in front of the practice green was a disaster. The hole was about 20 yards uphill at the top of the green, and I hit the ball with the leading edge of the club - rocketing it completely over the green.

On the second shot, I reminded myself to just take a half swing with this devil of a golf club, and to keep my left arm and wrist straight. The club pitched the ball up into the air, as I watched it go through contact. My brain exploded with "YES!", then I looked up to see the golf ball coming back down to earth about seven yards in front of me. My only thought was "How the hell do you get any distance with this thing?".

The next tactic was to move the golf ball either forward or back in my stance during set up. Taking smooth half swings with as little wrist action as possible, I discovered that with the ball forward toward my lead foot I could hit it almost straight up in the air with the 60 degree. Wow, that'll really come in handy...Yeah, right!

Moving the ball back toward my trailing foot, the 60 lifted it beautifully into the air, but I couldn't hit it more than 30 yards toward the target. Keeping the ball back in my stance, and adjusting my swing to about three-quarters put the ball up really high, and out about 40 yards. Then, I decided to try a full swing, and skulled the ball about 100 yards over the green.

After about seventy or eight shots with the 60 degree, I was able to hit the ball 35 to 40 yards with some consistency, and some accuracy, using a three-quarter golf swing. I won't even think about using a full swing with that diabolical little B#@$&*D!

Can't swing it inside that dark cabinet, anyway.

Thanks for visiting Golf Talk.

Hit ‘em long, straight and often!

Click on the “COMMENTS” button above to post your golf tips and thoughts on the game.

Contact: darabbitt@gmail.com

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

0 comments