Golf Talk Anatomy Lesson

Posted by Don Rabbitt | 5/07/2009 | 0 comments »

While playing our home course at Mountain Brook Golf Club yesterday, I got a simple - but important - Golf Talk anatomy lesson from my friend and golf coach, Jack Challender. Maybe, it will help you, too.

My round started off well enough with a nice tee-shot out in the middle about 200 yards. Jack's, of course, was about 65 yards farther down the fairway. But I was pleased with my drive. Then, I set up to hit the approach to the green, another 200 yards ahead. That's when it started.

My first approach swing topped the ball, sending it forward about 30 yards to the right. Not happy, but OK, I set up to make a second approach to the green...again, squirting it to the right side of the green. Now, I'm lying 3 off the par 4 green, when I hit a pitch REALLY thin and way past the hole, realizing that bogey was the best I could possibly do on this first hole. That thought, of course, played around with my head, and I walked off with a four-putt quadruple bogey.

Needless to say, the next few holes weren't much better, as I struggled to leave that crappy first hole behind me. Golf shot after golf shot went squirting or slicing to the right, as my blood pressure began to heat up my collar.

After another lousy approach shot to the sixth green, I asked Jack if he would point out anything he saw me doing to cause such a poor swing. He said the problem was that I needed an anatomy lesson. I thought "What the hell is he talking about?", but to him I simply said "What kind of anatomy lesson?" That's when he gave me the Golf Talk lesson of the day:

Jack said, " You see, your head and shoulders are connected, but your head doesn't have to turn with your shoulders when you swing through the ball. Remember, your shoulders are designed to turn under your chin, while your head remains still - looking at the club go through the ball."

It was one of those moments when you hear something you already knew...and had heard a thousand times before...and wondered why you had to hear it from someone else to realize what you have been doing. Golf!

From that point on, my golf swing improved dramatically as I consciously swung through with my arms and shoulders - without moving my head. In fact, I hit a couple of approach shots with a three wood onto the green from about 185 yards out. Near the hole. too.

So, that's our Golf Talk anatomy lesson for the day. More importantly, when we get caught up in those moments when things are going wrong, and the blood begins to boil, we need to pull ourselves up and go back to the basics. In fact, awhile back I made a checklist of golf swing set up points to go through, just for those times. Now, if I could just find the darn thing...


Click on the “COMMENTS” button above to post your golf tips and thoughts on the game.

Contact: darabbitt@gmail.com

Tags: , , , , , , , Mountain Brook Golf Club, ,

0 comments