A Little Golf Swing Analysis

Posted by Don Rabbitt | 6/02/2009 | 0 comments »

This week's Golf Talk has been consumed with my lousy golf swing. All week long, I either topped the ball or hit the ball fat - striking the ground before the ball. Not a good thing. Golf balls don't like to go very far or very straight when struck by a bouncing golf club.

When this kind of slip occurs, the first thing to do is to go back to basics. Is my grip correct? Is my set-up correct? Am I placing the ball in the correct spot in my stance? Are my knees flexed? Do they stay flexed during my swing?...AH,HA!

What surfaced is that I had been straightening my left or lead knee a bit during my downswing. What that does, of course, is change the plane of the golf swing. When the swing-plane changes during the swing, the golf club face is raised a bit (causing it to hit the golf ball thin on or top). The club face can be lowered during the golf swing if the knee-straightening causes me to tilt toward my right or swing side. That's when the golf club strikes Mother Earth before the mother ball.

Finally realizing what was going on, I concentrated on keeping the knees flexed and swinging through the ball. Miracle of miracles, the golf ball started going where I was aiming!

It is so important to go through your golf set up and swing check list when your golf swing goes awry. If you don't have one - MAKE ONE TODAY. Almost always, you have changed one little thing in your golf routine or set up process. A quick correction can get you right back on plane and back in the game.

Hit 'em long, straight and often!

Click on the “COMMENTS” button above to post your golf tips and thoughts on the game.

Contact: darabbitt@gmail.com

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

0 comments